Saturday, September 8, 2012

I don’t quite understand men — Yvonne Ekwere

My television encounter

I never wanted to be a TV presenter! It was by coincidence. I had always dreamt of being a big screen actress or stage performer. Not a TV presenter, I guess television chose me! I was a frequent listener of a show on Rhythm 93.7 hosted by I.K! I would call in often and one day, he invited me on air as a guest! I impressed him and from then on, I became his co-host! I heard about a TV audition, reluctantly attended and ultimately aced it!


My first time on air

It was on radio and was it breathtaking? I was nervous but had an amazing time on air once IK cheered me on. My first time to anchor a red carpet event was my baptism of fire; I was nervous, excited, confused and star struck all at once. It was a major event where virtually all the celebrities I had always admired attended. At some point, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

Me and fashion

I would say I acquired the ‘style genes’ from my grandmother; she was a total diva who was always on point with her fashion. I’ve always had a knack for looking good, it makes me feel confident. My mood determines what I wear. Sometimes, I’m girly, other times, I’m edgy, afro centric, or just plain sexy. But whatever it may be, I like to keep it classic and memorable. I’m a natural born fashionista, so, I adore clothes. I’m a ‘shopaholic’ I must confess. I love to own new things every other day and you can imagine how that would affect my pay slip. I shop randomly but wisely.

Favourite designer

Owning an item from a classic designer is key, but I am not a label freak, I buy what appeals to me. If it’s pretty and I can afford it, I buy.

Fashion fetish

I love rings, wrist watches and eyewear. I feel naked without them.

My figure

I am currently working out but no, it wasn’t deliberate, my job keeps me up and about with little or no time to eat a balanced meal; people like me rarely find the time to grab a snack; so, I blame my weight loss on this. The most treasured part of my body is my face. It’s pretty and would be around for a very long time.

Beauty routine

I’m naturally blessed with good skin but I try as much as I can to do the basics, therefore, I tone, cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize. I do yoga; I take long walks, jog and do a dance burn-out.

Social responsibility

I’m currently working on a few charity projects, where I help train young hopeful entertainers in public speaking, etiquette and relating with the media.

Leisure

I love to meditate with soft music playing in the background, visit the spa, swim or just pray!

Background

My childhood was memorable but not entirely rosy. My parents were separated when I was very young. So, I did not always have the best of both parents. I had to learn to grow up fast. But I remember playing ‘dress up’ pretending to be a member of the JACKSON-5 with my sisters. We would play their album and dance with imaginary microphones and instruments when we were home alone.

Life experience

I have been through a lot of pain and disappointment but that’s what fuels my passion to succeed! I never really had a father figure in my life, so till date, I don’t quite understand men. The chips were down in my family at some point and because of this, I always made a promise to work and become the best I could with whatever skill I had. I’ve grown to become a focused, strong willed and principled young lady today because of this.

Relationship

I love an intelligent mind. There’s nothing more sexy than that having intelligent conversation with a handsome young man. My kind of man is one who takes control of his woman’s needs. He must be respectful, self assured, affectionate, caring, encouraging, ambitious and not easily intimidated.

•Yvonne Ekwere, a.k.a Vixen, is a television presenter on Silver bird Television

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...