Sunday, January 20, 2013

I worked hard for my KORA award –Chidinma




The KORA Awards, which held in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire last month, saw Project Fame season 3 winner, Chidinma winning in the Best West African Act Female) category.

To emerge as winner, Chidinma beat top acts like Omawunmi, Viviane Ndour from Senegal, Claire Bahi from Cote d’Ivoire, Fafa Ruffino from Benin, and Suzanna Lubrano from Cape Verde.

She later thrilled the audience with an electrifying performance of her hit song, Kedike thus sharing the same stage with international superstar like Chris Brown and P-Square. Didier Drogba, former Chelsea striker and captain of the Ivorian national team, was on hand to present Chidinma her award. She later opened up on her career and awards. Excerpts:

How do you feel winning the award?

I’m happy and I feel blessed seeing myself as the best female artiste in West Africa.
How did you come about that song, Kedike?
Cobhams and I wrote the song but, most especially, Cobhams came up with the word, ‘Kedike’.
When did you discover you could sing?
I discovered that I had so much talent when I came for MTN Project Fame produced by Ultima Limited. I never knew I could really sing enough to catch anyone’s attention though I was doing the bathroom and sitting room kind of singing and I was also in choir, but MTN Project Fame really helped me.
What part of MTN Project Fame really helped you?
You know, we had an Academy and the teachers made sure we became the best singers. So, it was in the Academy that my huge voice was discovered and tamed. My voice used to be everywhere and I used to just open my mouth and sing but I learnt control in the Academy.
I also became popular through MTN Project Fame and I started growing my fan base from this platform too. So, I’m grateful to MTN Project Fame though Ultima for the platform and it has shot me into the limelight.
How do you cope with stardom and the stress associated with the entertainment industry?
Well, I’ve been coping because it is a life I chose for myself. I was not forced into it, nor was I lured to choose this profession; I willingly chose it and trust me, I’m enjoying every bit of it.
When are we expecting your next album?
Not anytime soon. I released an album last year and I’m not preparing to do so now.
Apart from singing, what else do you do?
I’m also into broadcasting on MTV base and I’ve also done few roles in some movies. I’m a Sociology student of University of Lagos, and I make sure I spend time with family and friends.
Do you actually think you are the best person for this award?
I won’t say I’m the best but what I will say is I deserve it because I’ve worked hard to have come this far. Like I said earlier, you need to know the way we were drilled in the Project Fame Academy! It actually helped as well.
You did an African tour last year, how many countries did you cover and which was the most successful?
I toured over 12 countries and they all went well, but Republic of Benin amazed me. The turn out was massive that I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a stadium full to capacity just to watch me sing. The experience really humbled me.
Do you have a boyfriend?
Well, for now I don’t have a boyfriend and I know I’m not getting married anytime soon
What is your advice to upcoming musicians?
Keep doing what you know how to do best. The journey to fame is not easy, so you must work hard and keep praying to God. You will get to wherever you are destined to be no matter what, if you work at it.
You once said your dad was a strict man and never really allowed you to go out. How has he been handling your stardom especially your tours?
He has been very supportive and he understands the demands of my job. He has fully thrown his weight behind me now and he even makes sure I’m safe wherever I am.
Who do you owe your success?
I give thanks to God who has brought me this far in a short while; I thank my family for the support. Words cannot express my appreciation to Ultima Limited, which brought out the best in me and also to MTN, they’ve been a wonderful family to me. I won’t forget all my fans too who have supported me from the Project Fame days till date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...