Friday, August 24, 2012

‘Why I Like To Be Called Evil Genius’


Nigeria’s first military president, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, IBB, has shed more light on why he preferred to be called the “evil genius” among his many nick names, adding that he chose the sobriquet because of its contradiction.


The former military Head of State who said this during an interview with journalists at his Minna residence, as part of activities to mark his 71 birthday celebration, added that God has been good to him.

He said: “I was asked a question by Tell magazine. They said people call you all sorts of names, ranging from Maradona, a deft dribbler and all those. They asked which one of the names I preferred and I said evil genius. They asked why? And I said because of its contradiction.”

On whether he would contest for the presidency in 2015 or not, the former Chief of Army Staff, said the Babangida presidency expired about 22 years ago.

“I have said it. Maybe I have to repeat it again. At this age, running around the country to seek for votes, for me is out of the question. I assure you. You will not see a candidate Babangida in 2015, running around the country canvassing for votes. So, God willing, I will no longer run for the presidential election,” he assured.

Speaking on his fear for 2015, he said: “Intolerance. That is number one. Number two, maybe at various levels, we don’t seem to use experiences to shape our future. Unless we do that we will only be dancing on a spot.

“If we are able to have this without any ulterior motives, I still have strong hope in this country. I strongly believe we will make it,” he averred.

On his alleged complicity on the issue of Boko Haram, he said: “Nigeria is a democratic society, isn’t it? Those who say Northern governors are involved including myself, know what to do. They should do what they ought to do to help all Nigerians. So, I will ask them to do what needs to be done.

“I can understand because it is a Babangida. I have talked about it, once, not twice. So, I am quite comfortable. I said what needed to be said. In my press statements, I said what needed to be said as a statesman. I pleaded with Boko Haram, so what else do I have to say?,” he asked rhetorically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...